API Technical Writing – tcworld India 2016
This week I attended tcworld India 2016 in Bangalore. What an amazing experience! I’ll write a summary of the conference soon. First, here are some notes on a session that I presented at the conference: “Introduction to API Technical Writing”.
The slides for my presentation are available on SlideShare: Introduction to API Technical Writing (slides).
- An introduction to APIs.
- An overview of the role of API technical writer, and of our audience – the developers who need our documentation to use
- APIs in their applications.
- A technical writer’s view of the types of API we might document.
- Demos of 2 APIs that you can play with yourself.
- The components of API documentation.
- Examples of good and popular API documentation.
- Working with engineers.
- Tips on getting started as an API technical writer.
- Why API technical writing is a good field to be in.
Thank you so much to everyone who attended the talk. The room was packed to overflowing. After the session, and indeed throughout the conference, people came up to discuss the field of API technical writing and to show me things they were working on. A number of conference attendees do API documentation as part of their role, and it was very interesting to see the variety of requirements even in this niche within a niche: API documentation within the technical writing profession.
For the next tworld India, I think it’d be a good idea to have a panel discussion on API documentation. We could invite 3 or 4 people working on different types of APIs, and within different environments (such as internal versus external documentation, or integrations).